[nSLUG] replacement screen for Dell Inspiron 1501

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:43:26 ADT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM, derek mahoney <derekmahoe at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am looking for a replacement screen for a Dell Inspiron 1501. My friend
> packed his laptop wrong and cracked the screen. Does anyone have any
> suggestions on where to get one or have one for sale? Preferably around
> Halifax
>
> Thanks for your time.

Screen techonology changes very quickly.  Unless the exact model is still in
production the only new spares may be those vendors keep in inventory for
warranty repairs.  For the most popular models there are shops that collect
damaged units and strip them for parts, but often it is the screen
that is bad.
Expect to pay a high price if you can find a replacement at all.

<http://www.impactcomputers.com/dellparts--parts-for-dell-inspiron-parts-for-dell-inspiron-1501-display-hardware.html>

asks  $250-300, depending on the size, but as they don't mention availability,
you can't assume they really have stock on all models..  "Refurbished" complete
laptops are being advertised at $500, e.g., cost of screen plus shop rates to
replace it, but again, finding stock may be an issue.   You might get $100 for
the old unit from someone who has a working display and needs a new
system board.  Dell advertises a new 1525 (Intel Core 2 Duo) for $600.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia