[nSLUG] Idea For a New Site

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Apr 25 14:49:34 ADT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Dop wrote:
>
>>> [precis of how RSS feeds work]
>>> Is that how it works?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Or close enough for a first approximation, eh?

No, you pretty much nailed it.

> I gather that there is no RFC. Instead there are (at least) three
> conflicting "standards", documented variously. Ho hum.

Yes.

>> I vaguely recall you mentioning you run Netscape 4 or so,...
>
> Good recall.  Navigator 4.76.
>
>> ...so I don't know how good the XML support would be, if there's any
>> at all.
>
> Zip. Nada. AFAICT.  I do have Firefox 1.x and 2.x to use when need
> arises and they allegedly do "feeds".

They do, but it's a bit gimmicky. I use a feed reader called FoF
(http://fofredux.sourceforge.net/) which stores feeds in a mysql database
and serves up a web page to read the feeds (and I've hacked it up to
simplify the page layout even more so I can fit more text on). The
advantage is I can read frequently updated web pages and blogs with all
the extraneous fluff removed.

> It's not that I'm a Luddite.  It's that, on the one hand, I have this
> compulsion to understand [1] the stuff I use while, OTOH, I want to
> adopt truly useful new stuff.

Nothing wrong with that.

> In the techno-innovation shitstorm,
> this requires choosing the occasional element and ignoring or working
> around all the rest (unless you're Danny Hillis, of course :-).  So,
> e.g., I learned to write HTML by hand but ignored CSS.  Browsed a book
> on XML and subsequently ignored it.  I guess I have to read up a bit
> on XML.

XML: "Let's store all our information as a text file instead of in binary
format! And let's make it look like HTML since that's so popular!"

The rest is details.

> This is not as far OT as it might seem.  Early Linux had all the
> plumbing and adjuster screws hanging out.  You *had* to understand it
> to make it work.

Yes. That's why I enjoy your intermittent tales of adventuring in
blacksmithing (and I know of two other readers on this list who are
similarly interested) - it's the getting down to nuts and bolts that is
interesting.

After all, Linux runs on hardware, the hardware involves metal, metal
needs smithing in some format, ergo blacksmithing is, I feel, on topic.
Not only that but little tips and tricks for workarounds frequently
translate across professions anyway.

> Thanks for the comments, Dop.

YAMW.

> This has led to the occasional funny story about doctors which I'll
> skip, since I'm way too far OT already. :-)

Speaking as somone administering *nix boxes in healthcare... Share the
joy! ;-)

Cheers... Dop.