[nSLUG] ZFS through FUSE

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 10:11:12 ADT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com> wrote:

> Hey George,
>
> I'll give you my experiments, if your interested.

I am very interested.  I think ZFS was designed for current and near future
storage technology, but it will take some years of real-world experience
to work out all the kinks.  A new filesystem tends to expose latent bugs in
drivers just because usage patterns change, so there is some co-evolution
of the filesystem and drivers before things are robust.

> I've tried ZFS on OS X (zfs-101A from macforge) and had zpools works, added
> a second disk while working on the zpool everything was pretty seamless.
>
> But ZFS on OS X kernel panics, alot, its not even close to stable.

Which version of OS X?  Apple advertises "read-only" ZFS support.  I'd like to
create multi-TB read-only caches of remote sensing images.   Typically there
is a growling pool of raw data (called level 1) that gets reprocessed
to "level 2"
periodically, with new data processed as they arrive.   Users need to be able
to extract time-series and do space-time binning of level-2 data.   OS X is
currently the platform of choice for working with level-2 data.

> I was able to export my zfs pool and import it on both FreeBSD-CURRENT (7.0)
> and FreeBSD-RELEASE (8.0) builds just fine. I used vmware for my tests for
> those OS's. I ran a couple bonnie tests, speed is fast either using eSATA or
> USB but is CPU intensive. If you want the stats I have em at home.

I thought VMware  USB is limited to 1.x speeds, but I have only used it on
P4 hardware.

I'm willing to give up some speed for the flexibility and the extra checks on
data integrity -- CPU intensive may be OK these days.  Anything that saves
human time (e.g., dealing with corrupted files and managing chunks of storage)
is important.

> Tonight I am going to test Solaris 10 community express edition via vmware.
> We'll see how things go.
>
> Ryncing seems to cause the most problems with ZFS and Kernel panics on
> FreeBSD and OS X.

For SGI's xfs there is a good list where such problems are reported and
investigated -- is there anything similar for ZFS?

>  On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I tried it, under Fedora 8 (2.6.24 kernel), but you need something
> > like 2.6.26 to get mmap.
> > I hope use it to share files between linux and OS X (image
> > processing), but many of the
> > tools expect mmap.  I suspect Apple may end up with their own tweaked
> > version of zfs to
> > support resource forks.   I have Mac Pro that will initially run RHEL
> > to do batch
> > processing, but may be converted to a Photoshop station once the
> > processing backlog
> > has been cleared or we buy more machines.  I was hoping to have a data
> > partition that
> > could be mounted by either OS, but now it appears that we will have to
> > reformat and
> > reload the disk to make the switch.
> >
> > I also use fuse-sshfs, so far without problems, but only for
> > relatively small volumes of data.
> > I wouldn't expect it to be suitable for heavy processing.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com> wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > Just wondering is anyone running ZFS through fuse here in linux? I'd
> love to
> > > hear your experiences.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia