[nSLUG] 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 4 16:02:17 ADT 2008

Hi Mike

In an earlier posting I highly recommended xcdroast. The interface
requires you to select the media type you are using in terms of either
the number of minutes of playback for CD's or the number of GB for
DVD's. For DVD's, which is mostly what I use, it automatically detects
the type of medium in the drive. This takes all the guesswork out of
trying to pick one from the list you give.

Several people have written in favour of k3b. When I tried k3b I found
there was no way to specify whether or not the disk was to be bootable.
I used it a few times when xcdroast suffered from the DVD problem I
mentioned in my previous post, but as soon as that problem disappeared I
went back (thankfully) to xcdroast.

I would be careful of dual layer drives. The blank media are still 3
times the price of +-RW media and are write-once only.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca