[nSLUG] Anyone using RH 5.1 and cifs client mount?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:52:16 ADT 2008

I've been using "mount -t cifs ..." with Fedora, Debian, Gentoo and have never
encountered this problem.   I suppose the next step is to capture some
packets to collect some hard evidence for the screwup.

The Samba people have lots of experience with weird Windows "features" --
have you checked for similar issue in Samba?

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:36 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not getting any response on the cifs linux client mailing list,
>  and I see one other person had the same problem as I see
>  in late Feb, with no response.
>
>  The correct path was working in an earlier RH kernel, but has been
>  broken lately.
>
>  I use a typical:
>
>  mount -t cifs //winserver/Users /home/mnt/ --verbose -o
>  credentials=/root/web_auth
>
>  The mount always suceeds, but I see the user's actual folder in
>  something like: /home/mnt/donald/donald/donald rather than
>  in expected /home/mnt/donald
>
>  This is wonky for all user directories.  ls of /home/mnt/<username> shows
>  a list of all user directories again.
>
>  I can also see all user names from ls of /home/mnt/<usernameA>/<usernameB>
>
>  So I can get to my home dir on the Windows box by:
>
>  cd /home/mnt/george/harry/donald
>  or
>  cd /home/mnt/david/micheal/donald
>  etc.
>
>  For now I've just hacked the apache conf so it works, but I'm
>  a little concerned that a future kernel update will unexpectedly
>  fix this and then the apache reference to the extra long path
>  will be bogus.
>
>  The target Windows machine is part of a DFS set up, but I'm
>  connecting directly to one of the two nodes of that, which
>  worked fine before.
>
>  The kernel I'm using is: 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
>
>  I find it hard to believe this is a rare problem.
>
>  --Donald

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia