[nSLUG] Anyone using RH 5.1 and cifs client mount?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:36:52 ADT 2008

I'm not getting any response on the cifs linux client mailing list,
and I see one other person had the same problem as I see
in late Feb, with no response.

The correct path was working in an earlier RH kernel, but has been
broken lately.

I use a typical:

mount -t cifs //winserver/Users /home/mnt/ --verbose -o
credentials=/root/web_auth

The mount always suceeds, but I see the user's actual folder in
something like: /home/mnt/donald/donald/donald rather than
in expected /home/mnt/donald

This is wonky for all user directories.  ls of /home/mnt/<username> shows
a list of all user directories again.

I can also see all user names from ls of /home/mnt/<usernameA>/<usernameB>

So I can get to my home dir on the Windows box by:

cd /home/mnt/george/harry/donald
or
cd /home/mnt/david/micheal/donald
etc.

For now I've just hacked the apache conf so it works, but I'm
a little concerned that a future kernel update will unexpectedly
fix this and then the apache reference to the extra long path
will be bogus.

The target Windows machine is part of a DFS set up, but I'm
connecting directly to one of the two nodes of that, which
worked fine before.

The kernel I'm using is: 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5

I find it hard to believe this is a rare problem.

--Donald