[nSLUG] Re: 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Apr 4 03:29:32 ADT 2008

Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Were you looking at creating your own DVD with menus, or just an iso?

Presently, just looking for a way to write all of my ~/* file
hierarchy to an iso and burn it to one disk for off-site backup.  Need
about 2 GB.  I'm assuming that a DVD would work.  With a CD-R I have
to do it piecemeal which is time-consuming and annoying. For more
frequent backups I just whap all of ~/ across the LAN to a spare
HD partition on a less-used machine.

To keep ~/ tidy, facilitate "find ~ ..." commands etc. I have created
a second username, "pkg", chown'ed pkg's directory to my own user
name.  Numerous ungainly packages of stuff such as tarballs of source
code or huge docs that I may only want to look at once a decade get
put there.  That stuff doesn't need backup.  And being on dialup, I
don't have gigs of d/l movies and music.

But now that you mention it....

Is there a way to create DVD menus from scratch?  I have a lot to
learn about this stuff.

- Mike

                                                           /V\