[nSLUG] Re: 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Apr 4 01:50:19 ADT 2008

> The disk sounds like it is a dual layer disk but your drive *may*
> only be a single layer which means it will only burn up to 4.4 gig
> so be careful ...

Well the box *says* it will do "up to 8.5 GB on one disk".

Nobody answered my question explicitly but I think I can infer it from
your replies: the system auto-detects the media somehow.

I first encountered optical media long before consumer-grade burners
were available.  I was allowed to use a Widget -- I forget the make --
that would burn 8" disks incrementally and was told not to break it
because it cost $10,000.  Fast-forward to my own Linux boxen, all with
trailing edge tech.  The competing formats, even then, were moderately
baffling and I remain pretty much baffled by the media designations
used for contemporary laser disks.

Allegedly, this drive will burn:

    DVD-R MAX
    DVD-R DL
    DVD+RW
    DVD-RAM
    DVD-ROM
    CD-RW
    CD-R

with no mention of "layers" or what those designations might mean,
either at the tecnical or the practical level.

Of those I've only used the last two with mkisofs and cdrecord from
the command line.  I guess I have to read a whole bunch of stuff on
Wikipedia, eh?

Thanks for the pointers,
- Mike

                                                           /V\