[nSLUG] 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Daryl 7thson.clone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:03:10 ADT 2008

Mike Spencer wrote:
>> Toss on the -dao flag when you burn the dvd, example below, at least that is
>> what I do.
>>
>> cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -dao DVDINQUESTION.iso
>>

> Okay, Joe, looking at the manpage again, that would appear to be the
> recommended practice for burning an entire DVD video disk image that
> you've ripped or downloaded. Is that what you're doing in your
> example?
>
> I'm thinking of doing mkisofs on my ~/ file hierarchy and burning that
> to DVD instead of CD.  That would allow me to do a complete backup of
> ~/* without any compression or other messing about. (The box for the
> new drive says "Up to 8.5G on one disk", which is in excess of my
> needs.)
>
> In any case, it looks like I can just put in the disk and the medium
> will be detected.
>

> Thanks,
> - Mike

Hi Mike

The disk sounds like it is a dual layer disk but your drive *may* only
be a single layer which means it will only burn up to 4.4 gig so be
careful before you start burning. Do you have a gui or are you CLI only?
if you have a gui, install K3B and it will check the drive and tell you
what it can burn.

Daryl