[nSLUG] Re: 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Apr 3 03:20:46 ADT 2008

> Toss on the -dao flag when you burn the dvd, example below, at least that is
> what I do.
>
> cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -dao DVDINQUESTION.iso

Okay, Joe, looking at the manpage again, that would appear to be the
recommended practice for burning an entire DVD video disk image that
you've ripped or downloaded. Is that what you're doing in your
example?

I'm thinking of doing mkisofs on my ~/ file hierarchy and burning that
to DVD instead of CD.  That would allow me to do a complete backup of
~/* without any compression or other messing about. (The box for the
new drive says "Up to 8.5G on one disk", which is in excess of my
needs.)

In any case, it looks like I can just put in the disk and the medium
will be detected.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\