[nSLUG] 1. cdrecord & DVDs? 2. init in *ubuntu

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Apr 3 02:27:33 ADT 2008

I've used cdrecord to burn CD-Rs and CD-RW.  Now I have a drive that
allegedly will burn DVDs.  But I see nothing in the manpage about a
switch or whatever to specify DVD although it *does* say that DVDs are
supported.

So I'm *guessing* that the hardware detects the medium inserted and
reports out to cdrecord on request so cdrecord automatically does the
right thing for the medium.

Is that right?  Just stick a blank DVD in and it will do the right
thing?

Another question: Does Ubuntu and its derivatives use SysV init
files?  Or do they use the BSD-style?  I might have someone drop by to
get some help and I just realized that I may have to do some homework
if he has SysV init files.  (I started with Caldera and SysV in 1999
but soon switched to Slack, which uses BSD, and haven't looked back.)

- Mike

                                                           /V\