[nSLUG] Grub Error

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Wed Apr 2 00:30:53 ADT 2008

Hi:

Do you mean that you actually deleted the partition from the partition
table?  Then, assuming that it was the first partition on the drive, all
your partitions are now numbered differently (one less).  So, for example,
if before windows was on hda1 and linux on hda2, then now linux is on hda1.

You don't need to re-install grub.  Your second option below would work --
tell grub which partition to boot from, then modify your grub config file.

However, if we assume that someday you will want to use the disk space that
used to be your windows partition, then probably the best thing you can do
is add it back to the partition table.  Make it whatever type you want for
now (feel free to change it later), and create whatever fs you like on it
when the time comes, but in the meantime grub isn't confused anymore.
Otherwise you will be facing this problem again after you decide to use that
space.