[nSLUG] Upgrade tools, or... (choosing a new distribution)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Sep 11 20:29:18 ADT 2007

Daniel Morrison wrote:
> All this talk about dependencies, Debian, Ubuntu, and RH/Fedora - My, my!
>
> In Slackware, there is no dependency management. Install what you need,
> leave out what you don't need.  If you forgot something, install it.  The
> default distribution is small enough by today's standards that you may as
> well install all of it.
>
> Upgrading?  Every release comes with UPGRADE.TXT which tells you how to
> upgrade, and what to watch out for.  It's a bit longer (344 lines) for
> release 12.0 than it was for previous release, mostly due to changes
> moving to the 2.6 series of kernels.
>
> But when you get down to it, apart from some minor preparation and
> cleanup, the upgrade procedure is pretty much:
>
>    upgradepkg */*tgz

Hi,

Always take care when upgrading.

    - Always check your packages and run a CRC check on them
    - Read the UPGRADE.TXT and the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT files in Slack
11+ before doing an upgrade.
    - Make two or three bootable CD-R or DVD and test they work
    - Don't rely on the hard drive to get at the packages, create the iso's
    - Never run upgradepkg --reinstall */*.tgz
    - Before rebooting, fix all the .new files in /etc subdirs
    - NVidia installer lacks some back checking of link files
    - Always follow the UPGRADE.TXT steps in order.
    - Cleanup after an install

For the most part, I've had to recompile a few apps using the new gcc.

One thing I've noticed using Dropline Gnome, it changes a lot of the
pkgs and actually causes Slack to break,
turning it into a bin-based system just like RedHat and others.  My
current install no longer uses DG, I migrated to XFCE and I'm happy again.
99% of the time its fast, its when I have about 30 apps open it starts
to get dodgy, but I solved some of that by adding more RAM.
Now its working great - I see it begin to slow with about 20 6MP photos
open in Gimp.  Less when I had to run freakin Java.. anyway.

Lessons learned.  I should have listened to my gut always be prepared,
but I got lazy and got burned.  The nice quick update turned into a few
hours of recovery.

So never think all upgrades will be a snap.

:)

Regards
Rich