[nSLUG] Upgrade tools, or... (choosing a new distribution)

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:06:51 ADT 2007

On 9/11/07, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
> All this talk about dependencies, Debian, Ubuntu, and RH/Fedora - My, my!
>
> In Slackware, there is no dependency management. Install what you need,
> leave out what you don't need.  If you forgot something, install it.  The
> default distribution is small enough by today's standards that you may as
> well install all of it.

This is not true.  Any more complicated package will have
dependencies.  If you are installing ipcalc, then perhaps
little is required to put that in, but on the other end of
the scale, something like a DVD player package for X
has many dependencies.  Libraries, tzdata, etc. are
a fact of life in computing which eliminate reinventing
the wheel for every program, and thus there will be
dependencies in all OSes.

--Donald