[nSLUG] Upgrade tools, or... (choosing a new distribution)

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:53:53 ADT 2007

All this talk about dependencies, Debian, Ubuntu, and RH/Fedora - My, my!

In Slackware, there is no dependency management. Install what you need,
leave out what you don't need.  If you forgot something, install it.  The
default distribution is small enough by today's standards that you may as
well install all of it.

Upgrading?  Every release comes with UPGRADE.TXT which tells you how to
upgrade, and what to watch out for.  It's a bit longer (344 lines) for
release 12.0 than it was for previous release, mostly due to changes
moving to the 2.6 series of kernels.

But when you get down to it, apart from some minor preparation and
cleanup, the upgrade procedure is pretty much:

   upgradepkg */*tgz

I'm simplifying a lot, but basically slackware is very robust.  I've yet
to hose a slackware system by mixing packages or upgrading incorrectly.
I've done "unsupported" upgrades (skipping versions, e.g. from slackware 9
-> 11) and it worked fine.

This time around I actually followed slackware-current all the way to its
release as 12.0, and never had any problems (apart from wiping out my web
pages once due to an overly enthusiastic 'rm' command in the apache pkg
install - that was fixed before 12.0 was released.  You keep backups of
your personal data, right?  :)

Slackware.  For when you just want to get stuff done!

-D.