[nSLUG] Upgrade tools, or... (choosing a new distribution)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Sep 11 14:04:36 ADT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:30:15 -0230
Jonathan Anderson <jonathan.anderson at ieee.org> wrote:
> Ubuntu syncs its packages with Debian every six months, and my understanding
> is that they work closely with (and some are) DDs (Debian Developers). A lot
> of Ubuntu fixes end up in Debian by the next Ubuntu release, so I have lots
> of reasons to believe that Debian's package policies are [mostly] enforced in
> Ubuntu*.

Yes.  For these reasons, in theory Ubuntu development both leverages from and
enhances Debian package quality.  But in practice, I understand that Ubuntu's
manpower is limited and Ubuntu's priorities are sufficiently different from
Debian's that package quality suffers in some areas, while it excels in others.
Six months is a very long time, and the amount of software in Debian is huge.
That's a lot of time to *not* be doing maintenance on the packages that aren't
getting priority because they're not in Ubuntu's sights.

That being said, if the areas that *are* Ubuntu's speciality are particularly
important to you, you may be willing to accept an overall decreases in package
QA for the sake of better support in those areas.  And apparently you would
not be alone in that decision either. :)

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org