[nSLUG] Upgrade tools, or... (choosing a new distribution)

David Potter dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 11 07:27:34 ADT 2007

It looks like I can attend the Software Freedom Install Fest Saturday
and I'm ready for either a new distribution or a new update strategy, a
few tips...

I've been comfortably using Red Hat/Fedora for several years and for a
while I seemed to be able to update the entire distribution by
specifying the new/desired release in yum.conf and using yum -upgrade

The last time I tried, yum got both constipated by dependencies and
tongue tied and couldn't actually tell me what was wrong. In the end I
simply left the old distribution in place.

With yum/rpm I always seemed to be working at the bottom of the
dependency chain, or presented with several dependency issues without a
clear sense of what to solve first.

Is there a distribution with a better/less frustrating update/upgrade
tool - or is there a better upgrade tool for Fedora?

--
Funky House ALERT! FOUND, buried on the MLS system, great first (or
second) house for an architect, artist, etc...