[nSLUG] Municiple WiFi: Wi-Fire USB Antenna

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:01:34 ADT 2007

On 8/29/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if more range would help always.
> I was in a downtown office in Vancouver which had
> wireless down the hall.  I could not connect
> to it very well.  I checked with Netstumbler and
> there were about 20+ access points in the area.
> As Vancouver office towers tend to have more glass
> where others have concrete, this probably makes
> for a lot of signal between buildings.
>
> This was with wireless 802.11g, which only has
> 3 unique channel frequencies, so with all
> that overlap of signal, wireless was useless.
> I'm not up on the new .11n and whether it
> solves this issue.

Cisco has announced 802.11n gear that passed interoperability
tests (so presumably everyone else will work with Cisco even if
not with each other).  Cisco's literature has some good stuff on
the advances in 802.11n (I think MIMO antenna technology is the
big one).

If you have access to ACM proceedings:

"Automating Cross-Layer Diagnosis of Enterprise Wireless Networks," by
Yu-Chung Cheng, Mikhail Afanasyev, Patrick Verkaik, Jennifer Chiang,
Alex C. Snoeren, Stefan Savage, and Geoffrey M. Voelker from the
Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UCSD's Jacobs School
of Engineering; Péter Benkö from the Traffic Analysis and Network
Performance Laboratory (TrafficLab) at Ericsson Research, Budapest,
Hungary

Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Kyoto, Japan, August 2007.

See: <http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/science/09-07WiFiDK-.asp>

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia