[nSLUG] Problem with XFCE

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon Sep 3 20:07:34 ADT 2007

Hi Rich

I did some experimenting back in the spring, trying to chroot to
another Linux distro from my "working" Kubuntu 6.06/Dapper Drake
distro. So I decided to try and get it working better - chroot from
Dapper to the MEPIS distro and run firefox that way. That would give
me a browser on my AMD64 laptop that supported the Flash 9 plugin. It
seems like "Long Term Support" for Dapper does not include upgrades
that will provide things like the nspluginwrapper that allows Flash 9
plugins on AMD64 machines.

After a couple of days effort I got that to work very well - no need
to invoke the chroot via the superuser.

So I will wait until SimplyMEPIS 7.0 is well past the Beta stage and
do a complete re-install, then go from there.

Thanks for your insights.

Jack

On Thursday 30 August 2007 23:31, Rich wrote:

> Hi Jack
>
> Going tarball is an option... but be warned on a binary system...
> yikes..  you're asking for problems.
> Even installing into usr/local and adding the devel pkgs.
>
> I had the exact problem in Slack 11.0 with XFCE 3.8 I think it was,
it
> would lock and crash.
> So I stayed away for a bit, then I heard some news about 4.1, so
when I
> checked for Slack, someone build the new 4.2.
> I tried it and liked it.  It had a few quirks, but it was very
solid.
> No more silent run aways.
> Then came 4.4 and I decided to give it a compile.  I needed to
upgrade a
> few things like dbus, python libs, and udev.
>
> The total compile time was about 2.5-3 hours for all the tarballs.
> There are 14 or so.   After the install, wow what a difference 4.4
is.
> It reminds me of the older Gnome, when it was better.
> Now a days, Gnome and KDE are trying to be Windows-like clones.
yuck!

> You can do icons on the desktop now, like you I don't bother.
> My wife got used to putting files on the desktop and treating it
like
> mini photo wall....  :)
> anyway..  she hated XFCE for not having the viewable content option
on
> icons.
> Oh well, so I had to install a beta of Dropline Gnome for Slack
12.0 -
> shes happy now, its running very solid.
>
> I'm still on 4.4 and loving it.  I found only a few issues, but
mostly
> cosmetic.
> Firefox 2.0.0.4 and 2.0.0.6 seem to have issues ( hmm.. I wonder now
if
> its because Slack 12.0 is on a new gcc )
> I find the latest Opera handles flash 9 much better than Firefox (no
> skips or freezing!)
> The newer Acrobat seems to work better, not so resource hungry.
> Amarok and postgres work nice together.
>
> Is there a pkg addon site available?
>

> Regards
> Rich
>

> Jack Warkentin wrote:
> > Hi David
> >
> > What versions of Xubuntu and XFCE are you using? With Kubuntu
> > 6.06/Dapper Drake/XFCE 3.9, one of the XFCE processes runs away
every
> > now and then, so that was my reason for trying to use XFCE 4.4.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jack

> > either

> > runaway