[nSLUG] smu wireless setup

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Sun Oct 28 23:05:53 ADT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 10:48:18PM -0300, Matt Chamberlain wrote:
> As far as i know, he doesn't have a problem with the driver itself, but a
> problem with the security settings and whatnot.  I would reccomend
> downloading NetworkManager, it generally handles that kind of stuff well, as
> far as I know.

True, and I have tried network manager. However, it doesn't seem to
work for me, I'm not sure if it's because the front-ends don't
cooperate with fluxbox (tried both the kde and gnome versions), or
something deeper down. I couldn't figure out what it was doing, so
I've been working with wpa_supplicant instead, but without success.

Is there anyone else from nslug at SMU? I can't be the only one.

Cheers,

Tyler

> On 10/28/07, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:12:20PM -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> > >
> > > apt-get install <driver source code package>
> > >
> > > m-a build <driver source code package>
> > >
> > > dpkg -i <object code package created by m-a>
> >

> > For what it is worth those three steps can be combined into:
> >
> > $ m-a a-i <module-package-name>
> >
> > e.g.:
> >
> > $ m-a a-i rt2x00
> >
> > The a-i option is auto-install. I also use -t so that it is text mode.
> >
> > I believe you only need to run 'm-a prepare' once.
> >

> > --
> > sg

Only YOU can stop forest fires.