[nSLUG] smu wireless setup

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sun Oct 28 21:12:20 ADT 2007

Hi Tyler

I recently installed Debian Lenny on my laptop and discovered that the
driver for my wireless card *was not* included in either the
installation kernel or the installed kernel, so the card was not
detected. So your first step is to make sure the driver is correctly
installed.

In my case, the wireless card uses the Ralink RT2500 chip set. To
install the driver I had to install its source code, compile this,
install the resulting object code, and install the driver into the
kernel, as follows.

apt-get install <driver source code package>

module-assistant prepare  ## this installs the necessary kernel headers

m-a build <driver source code package>  ## m-a is an abbreviation for
######## module-assistant

dpkg -i <object code package created by m-a>

modprobe <driver>

For my card, there is a special file, /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA/RT2500STA.dat
that contains all of the config information for WPA TKIP, but in most
cases, the wpasupplicant package must be used. The kwlan package
provides (they say) a nice gui frontend for wpasupplicant. The actual
lines that cause the WPA TKIP stuff to work are incorporated into the
/etc/network/interfaces file, after the lines similar to

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

with no blank lines in between.

(By the way, I presume you meant eth0 and not ath0 in your initial post.)

Hope this helps.

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca