[nSLUG] Linux and Laptops

Ian Bezanson irb at ianbezanson.ca
Sun Oct 28 10:08:12 ADT 2007

I think that you should be relatively safe with either Fedora or Ubuntu.
Ubuntu _just_ came out with a new release of their distro, and I believe that
Fedora is releasing a new one next month.  With a new laptop, you'll likely
have one or two minor issues with either of these distros.

My advice, as many others have suggested before, do the research.  Narrow down
to a couple of models of notebooks which you are interested in, and search
google for that model and your distro of choice.  You should pretty quickly
come up with a list of gotchas.

I personally run a Dell Latitude D630 (a couple of months old, but was a brand
new model at the time) and I've noticed a couple of hiccups with the previous
release of Ubuntu (Feisty) on it (sound can get weird, and hibernation
doesn't work quite right).  Although, my previous laptop was a MacBook Pro,
so nothing works quite as nice as that did for hibernation.

Hope this helps,

--
Ian Bezanson
irb[aT]ianbezanson[dOt]ca