[nSLUG] smu wireless setup

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Oct 24 15:01:27 ADT 2007

Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to set up wireless using the system at Saint
> Mary's? At my last university I just ran the following script, opened
> a browser and entered my user id and password, and then I was off to
> the races:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> ifconfig ath0 down
> iwconfig ath0 key off
> ifconfig ath0 up
> iwconfig ath0 ap any
> dhclient ath0
>
> It's a bit more involved at SMU. From what I gather from the
> instructions for using XP, they have WPA network authentication, TKIP
> encryption, Protected EAP (PEAP), Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
> authentication method. The full instructions are in a pdf:
>
> http://www.smu.ca/administration/itss/wireless/WirelessBrochurev2.pdf
>
> If anyone has already worked out how to set this up on linux, or can
> point me to any useful resources, that would be great.

Do a search on:  linux peap eap-mschap
This may give you some good leads.

This forum may help you out.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/wpa2-eap-mschap-v2-credentials-and-trusted-root-certification-authority-532211

I only glanced quickly, you may need an /etc/cert directory for the auth
certificates
One of the post, there is another site that may help you through it.

Rich