[nSLUG] smu wireless setup

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 24 14:42:33 ADT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:13:21PM -0230, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> Sounds a lot like MUN.
>
> What distro are you using? On recent versions of Ubuntu, NetworkManager can
> handle WPA/TKIP/PEAP/MSCHAPv2 automagically.

I'm using Debian Lenny with Fluxbox. I've installed network-manager
and network-manager-gnome, but it's not working out of the box.
nm-applet reports that NetworkManager is not running, but ps -e shows
that it is. I've asked on the Debian list for help. Do you have any
idea how to get Network Manager to work on Fluxbox?

Thanks,

Tyler

> #!/jon
>
> On October 24, 2007, Tyler Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to set up wireless using the system at Saint
> > Mary's? At my last university I just ran the following script, opened
> > a browser and entered my user id and password, and then I was off to
> > the races:
> >
> > #! /bin/bash
> > ifconfig ath0 down
> > iwconfig ath0 key off
> > ifconfig ath0 up
> > iwconfig ath0 ap any
> > dhclient ath0
> >
> > It's a bit more involved at SMU. From what I gather from the
> > instructions for using XP, they have WPA network authentication, TKIP
> > encryption, Protected EAP (PEAP), Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
> > authentication method. The full instructions are in a pdf:
> >
> > http://www.smu.ca/administration/itss/wireless/WirelessBrochurev2.pdf
> >
> > If anyone has already worked out how to set this up on linux, or can
> > point me to any useful resources, that would be great.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tyler
>

> --
> Jonathan Anderson