[nSLUG] Interview questions

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:46:12 ADT 2007

On 22/10/2007, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:42:27PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> > awk -F: 'print $1' /etc/passwd | sort
> >
> > - lists users from /etc/passwd alphabetically
>
> This question in particular will distinguish between someone who knows
> awk and someone who just read about it on nslug ;)

Not entirely certain what you mean... except perhaps that I forgot the
curly braces?  It should have been:

awk -F: '{print $1}' /etc/passwd | sort

Oops, did I just spoil it? :)

Well, anyhow, that will teach me to post things without testing them.

However, this does underscore what someone else had been saying.  The
_exact_ syntax of cmd lines or config files is not important - it's the
computer's job to log an error and help you fix the typo.  More important
is the potential candidate's ability and general knowledge, and
applicability of that knowledge to problems - troubleshooting, research,
etc...

-D.