[nSLUG] Interview questions

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Oct 22 16:45:47 ADT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:42:27PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> sort -rnt: -k3,3 /etc/passwd

I find that sort of question useless. As far as I am concerned the
only correct answer is "That is what manpages are for." A more
interesting question is "How do you produce a list of users sorted by
uid?" If the answer involves gui tools there is always the follow up
question: "But what do you do when you only have command line access?"

I agree with Ian and others: ask open ended questions. You will get a
better understand of how the candidate thinks. It also matters less if
the answer is 100% correct. How the candiate achieved the answer is
more interesting.

Questions I like for sysadmin positions involve automating a
process. Creating one new user is easy. How would you create 100 users
based on info in a text file? How would you change the string "bar" in a
dozen text files to "foo?"

--
sg