[nSLUG] Interview questions

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon Oct 22 16:10:07 ADT 2007

Hi Everybody

I like Ian's approach. I once had to conduct a few interviews on behalf
of the organization doing the hiring. The two applicants I remember most
were both recent Master's degree grad's. I asked them to outline their
thesis work, something I knew nothing about in either case. One guy gave
a good overview of his subject and the other went into a lot of details
that meant little to me. I figured that the guy who gave the good
overview *had* a good overview of his subject whereas the other guy did
not, and *would have a lot harder time solving problems*.

It's not just the details of the answers given, it's the *approach* to
answering the questions that can be very important. I like general
questions that give a lot of scope for answering. Asking something that
the candidate knows well (or at least *should* know well) should put
him/her at ease, and put you in a better position to detect his/her
enthusiasm, commitment, etc (or lack of them), personality,
communications/interpersonal skills, ability to grow into the job and
into a more advanced position. If a lack of detail is given in an answer
you can follow up to see what depth of technical knowledge is there.

My opinions only.

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca