[nSLUG] Re: wireless mesh project in Amherst, Massachusetts

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Oct 21 18:56:07 ADT 2007

> Here is an interesting  cooperative project between university CS and
> a municipal government:
>
> <http://www.amherstma.gov/.........

That *is* interesting.  When I was first married, I lived in Amherst
over the Amgerst cinema, separated from the projection room by a thin
wall. Conubial bliss was accompanied by the latest sound tracks and
when we showered carelessly, bathwater dribbled onto the popcorn.

At that time, the only wide-area data com was the four clock towers in
town that were a minute or so out of sync so that, on a quiet night,
they chimed 48 at midnight.

> In my experience, goverments at all levels are often skeptical of academic
> proposals...

Way back then, (UMass had one computer, an IBM 1620) the town & gown
relationship was, as far as I could tell, somewhat bumpy.  But the
academic community in Amherst is now so large compared to the rest of
the town that there is a degree of academic tail (including the state
government via the state university) wagging the town dog.

- Mike

                                                           /V\