[nSLUG] Policy. WAS Re: Every one in a while....

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Fri Oct 19 11:20:43 ADT 2007

Ben Armstrong wrote:
> In particular, I challenge:
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:40:07 -0300
> Jon <me at jonwatson.ca> wrote:
>
>> when you hear the word 'policy' you can generally
>> assume a W2K3 environment. Of course there are many other uses for the
>> word policy, but that's my rule of thumb.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=selinux%20policy
> <http://www.google.com/search?&q=selinux%20policy>
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,790,000 for selinux policy. (0.11 seconds)

I would expect a Google specifically for 'selinux policy' to yield
results specifically for selinux policy. I would consider Google to be
sadly broken if more Windows policy results showed up for this query
than SE Linux results.

If that's your metric, then I submit this:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=group+policy

which yields almost 1.3 *billion* results.

Both these metrics mean nothing.

I don't know you well enough to know if you are deliberately trolling or
not.

Notwithstanding that you've edited my quote for your purposes (the
sentence was: "To me it refers specifically to Windows 2003 server
environments.Windows security and permissions are largely controlled by
Group Policy Objects (GPO) and when you hear the word 'policy' you can
generally assume a W2K3 environment." - note the "to me" part) a
suitable proof in my mind would be a Google for the simply the word
policy to see how many Windows and Linux SE terms come up.

Since Google provides the function to search within results, and I have
a few spare moments, I thought I would provide this data to you:

Search for Policy and then

Windows within results: 752 million results
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enCA219CA219&q=policy&as_q=windows&btnG=Search%C2%A0within%C2%A0results

SE Linux within results: 1.7 million
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enCA219CA219&q=policy&as_q=selinux&btnG=Search%C2%A0within%C2%A0results

Linux within results: 178 million
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enCA219CA219&q=policy&as_q=linux&btnG=Search%C2%A0within%C2%A0results

So it would seem that not only does the word 'policy' tweak Windows in
my mind, but the minds of many other people as well.

Jon