[nSLUG] Every one in a while....

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Fri Oct 19 08:40:07 ADT 2007

To me it refers specifically to Windows 2003 server environments.
Windows security and permissions are largely controlled by Group Policy
Objects (GPO) and when you hear the word 'policy' you can generally
assume a W2K3 environment. Of course there are many other uses for the
word policy, but that's my rule of thumb.

GPOs are built upon policy templates. A policy template can be inserted
into a GPO for...say...application X. The template for application X
provides an interface for someone like a system administrator to dictate
what users can and cannot access within application X.

A 'non-granular' template might have just one setting that allows users
to...say...access the File menu or not. Whereas a 'granular' template
would contain settings for each item on the File menu and allow the
system administrator to specify which users can use which menu items
within the File menu.

Without any other context, that's where my mind wandered...

Jon