[nSLUG] Buying books: I take it back, partly

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:15:46 ADT 2007

For the shell, I learned with the help of Unix Shell Programming, by
Kochan and Wood.  The "newer" one I have was published in 1990.
I don't see current books go into the same nuances.

This is the odd thing about learning the Linux OS - for those of us
who used Unix in the 80's we picked it up in the days
of relative infancy.  Just finding all of the things
you could do from a shell prompt was so cool.
Learning it from a modern GUI-full, TCP-rich operating system
skips some of the foundations.  I doubt that a student today
would spend part of an afternoon experimenting with each
type of shell test commands, or type 'cal 2008' as a first step
in thinking about planning something for next year.

--Donald