[nSLUG] Buying books: I take it back, partly

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Oct 18 12:56:12 ADT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 07:58:58PM -0300, Tyler Smith wrote:

> I'd be very interested to hear what you folks would place among the
> true classics.

The books by W Richard Stevens are excellent. TCP/IP Illustrated vol 1
is still mostly true despite the age. Vol 2 is interesting from the
perspective of studying how BSD implemented TCP/IP.

"Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" should be read by all
*nix programmers. It is not all relevent as higher level languages and
APIs are generally easier to use. However it does give a good
understand of how applications should be written for *nix.

--
sg