[nSLUG] Buying books: I take it back, partly

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 17 19:58:58 ADT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 03:07:41PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> But there are a few dozen true classics -- such as K&R, The Awk
> Programming Language, The Unix C Shell Guide  or that book on math
> algorithms for C (I forget the title) -- that should be available to
> any hacker or IT student.  In addition, there is an even larger number
> of books that are either:

I'd be very interested to hear what you folks would place among the
true classics. I'm relatively new to linux, but the stuff that I've
found most exciting so far are

  K&R

Lisp/Scheme
  Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
  Norvig's AI Lisp book

  I haven't finished either of these yet, as they look to require the
  same sort of undivided attention that K&R did for full effect.

Not exactly a classic, but O'Reilly's 'Classic Shell Scripting' was a
solid introduction to the POSIX shell stuff.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
"Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want. These
features will make your computer less reliable and less secure... less

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows.html