[nSLUG] Buying books: I take it back, partly

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Oct 17 16:57:24 ADT 2007

Mike Spencer wrote:
> I don't know if Canadian tax law follows the US closely in this regard,
> but the 1979 SCOTUS Thor vs IRS decision effectively crippled
> bookselling in the US as we used to know it and Canada is, for most
> purposes, an appendage of the US publishing industry.  See:
>
>     http://www.sfwa.org/bulletin/articles/thor.htm
>
> if you're interested.

Thanks.  Good read - now it explains what happened to the music industry
as well.

When I worked at Warner Bros, during the mid-80's there was a mass purge
campaign.
The new method was called Just in Time, or JIT for short (not too many
were into porn I guess - it always brought a chuckle).
Previously, we had about 12 satellite warehouse (huge suckers - one was
over a million (maybe 1.5) sq feet).
After the purge, we were down to 3 warehouses.
Thousands of records were cut and ground up.
Recycled into newer product, mostly for artists who didn't want to pay
for virgin vinyl.

Amazing how fast corporations move and become 'innovative' when they
have to pay more tax dollars. :)

Rich