[nSLUG] Buying books

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 17 09:54:54 ADT 2007

Thanks everyone for your comments. In my experience, the web has lots
of resources that are 'good enough' for most purposes, but not great.
For instance, you can learn most (or probably all) of C from any
number of tutorials, but none of them are as good as K&R. Combine the
glut of crappy published books with the free availability of ok
documentation, and I guess there just isn't a market to support good
quality tech books in any but the largest markets.

As far as actual Lisp books go, I have got Practical Common Lisp,
which is well written but aimed at a slightly different audience -
i.e., people who already know how to do many things in other
languages, and just need to translate that knowledge into the Lisp
way. I think I'll probably buy a copy of Graham's ANSI Common Lisp,
and between that, PCL, and the good-enough web resources hopefully
I'll be able to sort out my immediate needs/wants.

Thanks for the tips!

Tyler

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 07:42:13AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> It seems to be universal, and not surprising when you consider
> the volumes of texts they can't sell because they are crap, or
> they can't sell because the technology changed, and as I
> mentioned previous, for open source they have to compete
> with free information on the web.
>
> Perhaps O'Reilly, who everyone seems to like in my experience,
> should open a chain called "The Missing Bookstore" :-) .
> Perhaps smaller so the square footage doesn't do them in.
> Perhaps a watermarked flash memory/PDF
> distribution centre with preview workstations.
>
> --Donald
>
> On 10/17/07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> >

> > Recently I ranted that you should drive to Harvard Square in
> > Cambridge, Mass. for tecnical book shopping. Oy!
> >
> > I just discovered that WordsWorth, for my money the best bookstore
> > I've been in, closed up 3 years ago. Sad.  They not only had a *lot*
> > of technical books, they had an excellent collection of nearly
> > eveything else as well.  And it was run by really nice people.
> >
> > Now it's not a certain that a trip to the Square will painlessly
> > get you what you want.
> >

> > http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2004/12/01/closing_store_has_them_at_loss_for_words/
> >

> > Sad,
> > - Mike
> >
> > --
> > Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada       .~.
> >                                                            /V\
> > mspencer at tallships.ca                                     /( )\
> > http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/                        ^^-^^

Support standardized open formats and control your own data -
	Reject Microsoft OOXML

http://noooxml.org