[nSLUG] [OT] ISP support (was ISPs in NS)

Paul wes902 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:55:02 ADT 2007

On 10/15/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:05:09PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> > This is a little off topic, but I have a beef with Aliant's business
> > methods.
> >
> > My Dad just switched from Rush communications to Aliant high speed.
> > Aliant Tech Support would only set him up with Outlook Express.
> > I know people have complained that Linux isn't supported by ISPs, but

Just wondering, but why he didn't go with Eastlink?

> pushing only the Microsoft email client on Windows seems ridiculous.
> > It would not be much effort for them to do walk throughs of popular open
> > source clients like Thunderbird.  My Dad is too frustrated from the
> > experience to repeat it and get his old Thunderbird set up again.
>
> They're not 'pushing' anything. They're not recommending he only use
> Outlook Express, nor are they forcing him to use it. It's just that
> their techs are (likely) only trained to do the setup on Outlook
> and/or Outlook Express.

I think they would break it down to their install base and the cost to train
staff and implement support cannot justify it. From what I remember my
parents Aliant self install kit had the SMTP/POP server's listed inside the
document with their user name and password. It's just that any client
outside the trained one is "unsuported"

In a perfect world, all they'd have to do is make server and login
> information visible, and the user could just run through the client's
> setup wizard.

And looking on their website they do:

http://nsegainkc1.aliant.net/knowledge/Docs/Internet/Email/Thunderbird/thunderSetup/thunderSetup.htm