[nSLUG] [OT] ISP support (was ISPs in NS)

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Mon Oct 15 20:31:01 ADT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:05:09PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> This is a little off topic, but I have a beef with Aliant's business
> methods.
>
> My Dad just switched from Rush communications to Aliant high speed.
> Aliant Tech Support would only set him up with Outlook Express.
> I know people have complained that Linux isn't supported by ISPs, but
> pushing only the Microsoft email client on Windows seems ridiculous.
> It would not be much effort for them to do walk throughs of popular open
> source clients like Thunderbird.  My Dad is too frustrated from the
> experience to repeat it and get his old Thunderbird set up again.
>
> Thanks to Aliant, my Dad is now 100% virus and worm compatible.

They're not 'pushing' anything. They're not recommending he only use
Outlook Express, nor are they forcing him to use it. It's just that
their techs are (likely) only trained to do the setup on Outlook
and/or Outlook Express.

It's a fair amount of work to support the other ones. He'd want
Thunderbird, someone else would want Eudora, then there's Opera,
Mulberry, The Bat!, Pegasus, Incredimail, Sylpheed, i.Scribe, Foxmail,
Pocomail... I'd be surprised if they even supported older versions of
Outlook or Outlook Express.

In a perfect world, all they'd have to do is make server and login
information visible, and the user could just run through the client's
setup wizard.

"100% virus and worm compatible" ... what, was he going to switch to
Linux or OS X before Aliant told him they'd only setup Outlook?