[nSLUG] ISPs in NS

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:05:09 ADT 2007

This is a little off topic, but I have a beef with Aliant's business
methods.

My Dad just switched from Rush communications to Aliant high speed.
Aliant Tech Support would only set him up with Outlook Express.
I know people have complained that Linux isn't supported by ISPs, but
pushing only the Microsoft email client on Windows seems ridiculous.
It would not be much effort for them to do walk throughs of popular open
source clients like Thunderbird.  My Dad is too frustrated from the
experience to repeat it and get his old Thunderbird set up again.

Thanks to Aliant, my Dad is now 100% virus and worm compatible.

I hope the traditional phone companies go under - the Internet is the
meteor impact which should wipe out the bad business model
they follow.

--Donald