[nSLUG] Static IP Availability Question

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Oct 15 16:29:30 ADT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Jon wrote:

> That seems to be the general concensus. Seems odd, though. As I wrote
> earlier, I am temporarily on Eastlink DSL and my IP has changed twice in
> three weeks. Well, I guess it's only changed once - I am on my second IP.
>
> I just don't think I can take the chance, though. I mean, even if it
> only changes every couple of months I'm still going to be unable to work
> until someone in the organization changes the firewall rules and some
> days that might be my task.

Eastlink's DHCP servers will listen to what your DHCP client requests and
will give you the requested IP if it's not already in use. I've used this
in the past to "recapture" my IP address when I've cocked something up
after a reboot. Edit the dhcp leases file so there's only one entry with
the IP address required, start up the DHCP client, the DHCP client
requests the IP address and the server will (usually) give you the IP.

I don't know if Aliant's configuration can be gamed the same way; since
it's using PPPoE I would suspect not.

If you want guaranteed static IP addresses I belive you have to pay for a
business connection, both on Aliant and Eastlink.

Cheers... Dop.