[nSLUG] tech books in Halifax?

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 15 14:19:08 ADT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 02:01:30PM -0300, Jon wrote:
> Tyler Smith wrote:
> >
> > Where's the best place to browse tech books in Halifax? I've been out to
> > Chapters,
> > but there's not much there for those of us interested in crusty old
> > languages like
> > C and Lisp. Or maybe I should say there's not much there for crusty old
> > people
> > interested in C and Lisp.
>
> I just got here so I can't say for sure, but I know in Calgary the
> university book store was a good place. Maybe Dalhousie bookstore or
> something?

I checked there when I first got here. They only have course books,
including K&R (which I've read).

I'm looking for three things: something to follow up on K&R with, a
good general intro to Lisp, and stuff to help me convert my MSAccess
databases over to mysql. Chapters does have O'Reilly's 'Learning SQL',
and I've read the first five chapters from the library - it's pretty
good. I'd like to see 'SQL in a Nutshell' though, since I find that I
outgrow intro books fast enough that I'd rather invest my pennies in a
more comprehensive reference.

>From what I've read, Lisp should be good for passing info between html
forms and mysql, other than the relative scarcity of reference books
(I know about PCL, but I don't find the writing suits my learning
style). If this sounds crazy I'd be happy to be corrected.

Cheers,

Tyler

                                       --Mark Twain