[nSLUG] Static IP Availability Question

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Mon Oct 15 14:08:11 ADT 2007

I've used OpenVPN extensively in the past. It works well, but it has two
problems:

1. Key management is far too much of a PITA for end users to manage
2. Requires installation on the client machine. We're looking for
something that can be used from anywhere - probably web based. This is
the same reason why an SSH tunnel won't work well.

I actually had a client outright reject OpenVPN once because it was too
'ugly' on his Windows client. He insisted on PPTPd because it was
integrated so nicely with Windows. Form over security...takes all kinds,
I guess.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of ways to twist this thing, but the bottom
line is that I need to be able to send all traffic out from a known and
static IP. That sounds like VPN to me, but since I can't seem to get
OpenVPN to run in a VPS and I'm not going to shell out the $$ for a
dedicated box just to make it a VPN server, I'm looking for other
alternatives. I'm thinking there must be an entrepreneurial spirit out
there on the interwebs somewhere offering such a service.

Have to find some time to do some Googling...