[nSLUG] Scalar 100 dlt tape library

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Oct 11 08:45:55 ADT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 07:48:57PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> My son David emailed me that he has a "Scalar 100 dlt tape library" to
> give away.

Nice. I would be tempted if I were in Halifax.

This is a tape drive with tape changer robot. The drive is almost
certainly supported by Linux. I have yet to find a DLT drive that
isn't supported. The robot is probably supported by the mtx
tools. Other robots in the Scalar family are supported. Even if the
tape drive is an old low capacity DLT drive it can likely be upgraded
with any DLT, SDLT, or LTO drive.

The only downsides would be the size and power consumption. It is the
size of a small bar fridge. It probably burns 100w at idle. (Which may
not be a problem if you need to heat your basement.)

This PDF shows an updated version of the machine:

www.smdata.com/Documentos/Scalar100_Datasheet.pdf

--
sg