[nSLUG] Lapotops

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:52:11 ADT 2007

The statement doesn't have to be true all of the time to have merits.
So you lucked out.  Good for you. It doesn't always happen with new
hardware.

I saw D620's come out 2 years ago, for which only the latest
revs of 2 distros would support immediately, and they didn't support
everything perfectly.  The other distros didn't have a kernel to support the
mobo chipset, so the installer was unable to see disk.  I also saw
Intel drag their feet and take 2 years to support the Centrino
wireless.  Even at that, Intel would not provide technical specs
to the programmer they hired to write driver support (he wrote me about that).

Again, it can be useful to not be cutting edge to get the best of
hardware support.