[nSLUG] Lapotops

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Oct 3 12:19:29 ADT 2007

Hi Everyone

I have an AMD64-based Clevo D470K with ATI mobile Radeon 9600 graphics
and an Ralink RT2500-based wireless card. I bought it 2 years ago and I
believe it had been on the market for about a year before I bought mine.
I spent months off and on trying to decide what to buy and the major
factor was the wireless card. There is a well-supported open source
driver for the Ralink chip set, with information provided by the
manufacturer. (I have heard that wireless capability based on the Intel
Centrino chip set is also well-supported by GNU/Linux.

That said, this wireless card is not well-supported by the major
distros, in the sense that they don't include the driver with their
install media. But once you know how to set it up it takes little
effort. I have had most success with Debian and Debian-based distros. I
used Suse 10.0 for a while and then switched to Kubuntu 6.06/Dapper
Drake, which I used for about a year. I got *all* of the hardware
working with Dapper relatively easily, including the fglrx driver.

The problem with Dapper is, you have to reinstall a more recent distro
to get support, for example, for the Flash 9 player for a 64-bit
processor. (This didn't bother me much until I found that there were too
many web sites that had Flash content, to the extent that I couldn't
even book an airline ticket online without Flash support.) Also, I was
getting fed up with the bloat of KDE so started looking for an
alternative, which I found in Debian Lenny and Xfce. The advantage of
this testing version of Debian is, you get updates of software without
having to upgrade to a new distro version. However, I haven't been able
to get the fglrx driver installed yet (not that I've tried particularly
hard, because I don't *need* 3-D acceleration). That is probably a
problem with the kernel, and Debian's well-known reluctance to support
proprietary software.

Greg, there has been a great deal of good advice posted in response to
your request, all of which can be summarized by

  1) Decide what are the important characteristics you want in your machine,

  2) Research, research, research ... to found out how best to achieve
those characteristics.

Regards

Jack