[nSLUG] Lapotops

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:27:31 ADT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-10 at 10:40 -0230, Jonathan Anderson wrote:

> Also, I'd hold off on buying anything with ATI/AMD graphics until the
> next
> FGLRX driver comes out. ATI has been really, really painful in the
> past (and
> present), but the next edition of the driver is supposed to be the Be
> All And
> End All. If it is, I'd say giv'r with AMD.
>
> If it isn't, you may want to look at Intel, where you can have proper
> open-source 3D support. Closed-source sucks, as some issues *never*
> get fixed
> (e.g. suspend/resume stopped working a few months ago with FGLRX, and
> I can't

The good news is that ATI has finally seen the light, and is supporting
the development of a real open source driver which should see these
issues fixed for good:

http://lwn.net/Articles/249426/

In the mean time, Intel video would seem to be the best choice.
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>