[nSLUG] Lapotops

Ian Bezanson irb at ianbezanson.ca
Wed Oct 3 09:08:13 ADT 2007

I'm not sure that I'd agree with the statement "...stay back from the latest
models...".  I've got a brand new Dell Latitude D630 that has the newest of
everything.  As long as you are patient with your google searches, you should
be able to get everything working on your system with minimal effort.

The one thing that I will note is (specific to (K)Ubuntu) that you'll need to
use the Alternate CDs when installing linux onto your new system.  I've got a
SATA drive in my system, so the normal CDs caused issues, but installation
w/the Alternate CDs went off fairly straightforward.

Find the model you want to buy, pick a distro and spend some time on google to
see the ins and outs of that model.  Chances are that someone else has come
across any issues with that setup, and found out how to make the hardware
function.

I think that staying away from the latest top-end hardware is simply going to
leave you with a laptop that you'll want to replace sooner.

Just my two cents...

--
Ian Bezanson
irb[at]ianbezanson[dot]ca