[nSLUG] Lapotops

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:13:45 ADT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-10 at 13:41 -0300, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:35:53PM -0300, crackers wrote:
> > I have Ubuntu running on an ancient P3 Dell Latitude with no
> issue... can't
> > see yours being a problem...
>
> Yes, but old hardware is (generally) better supported.
>
> The sticking point will generally be the network card. I'm not sure if
> there are still any major issues with wired cards now that the
> Broadcom driver has been reverse engineered.
>
> Wireless is much more of a problem. There are no drivers for the
> latest Intel card, for example, although given Intel's track record I
> assume that will change soon enough. There are no good drivers for a
> lot of new Atheros chipsets as well, unless you feel like using SVN
> drivers... or ndiswrapper.

I'd try to avoid ndiswrapper if at all possible. It's of dubious
legality and quite a nightmare to set up for someone inexperienced with
Linux.

Sticking with supported and tested video and wireless is definitely a
good plan, Intel's stuff is generally very good (I've been very happy
with Ubuntu's support for my Dell D620, which has an Intel Pro/Wireless
3945ABG and Intel 945GM video).

--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>