[nSLUG] Lapotops

crackers crackers at lasthop.ca
Tue Oct 2 14:04:32 ADT 2007

I have wireless pcmcia cards of various brands and they all work without
issue as well (cisco, SMC, linksys, dlink) if not better than on a laptop
with windows.

Ian's idea of bringing a boot CD to the store should answer a lot of your
questions and if there is a particular piece of hardware you're concerned
about a little research in product specific forums should shed some light on
their compatibility...

On 10/2/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:35:53PM -0300, crackers wrote:
> > I have Ubuntu running on an ancient P3 Dell Latitude with no issue...
> can't
> > see yours being a problem...
>
> Yes, but old hardware is (generally) better supported.
>
> The sticking point will generally be the network card. I'm not sure if
> there are still any major issues with wired cards now that the
> Broadcom driver has been reverse engineered.
>
> Wireless is much more of a problem. There are no drivers for the
> latest Intel card, for example, although given Intel's track record I
> assume that will change soon enough. There are no good drivers for a
> lot of new Atheros chipsets as well, unless you feel like using SVN
> drivers... or ndiswrapper.
>
> If your aim is running Linux, you still have to do some research to
> make sure your hardware is supported.

                  \!/
                (@ @)