[nSLUG] Lapotops

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Oct 2 13:41:40 ADT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:35:53PM -0300, crackers wrote:
> I have Ubuntu running on an ancient P3 Dell Latitude with no issue... can't
> see yours being a problem...

Yes, but old hardware is (generally) better supported.

The sticking point will generally be the network card. I'm not sure if
there are still any major issues with wired cards now that the
Broadcom driver has been reverse engineered.

Wireless is much more of a problem. There are no drivers for the
latest Intel card, for example, although given Intel's track record I
assume that will change soon enough. There are no good drivers for a
lot of new Atheros chipsets as well, unless you feel like using SVN
drivers... or ndiswrapper.

If your aim is running Linux, you still have to do some research to
make sure your hardware is supported.