[nSLUG] Linux Work

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Mon Oct 1 14:20:30 ADT 2007

Hi All,

I've recently arrived here from Alberta and am in the midst of house and
job hunting. I would classify myself as an intermediate Linux systems
administrator with strengths in remote administration. My most recent
position was as a sysadmin/integrator for a small Calgary company that
built, deployed, and maintained Linux servers into SOHO Windows offices.
25 employees or less type installations where the Linux box provided
file sharing, VPN, groupware and remote backup services.

It seems from my preliminary investigation that the Linux field isn't
quite as developed here as it is in Calgary. I kind of expected that as
pure Linux jobs aren't even that easy to come by in Calgary yet, but I'd
still like to get work in an environment that has *some* Linux in it.

So, since you guys are the resident experts, it seems prudent to check
in with you. I'm keeping an eye on Career Beacon, Monster and Workopolis
and I have spoken to the head hunters at GSA. Is there anywhere else
where I should keep my eyes and ears open? Any companies that have some
Linux infrastructure hidden away? Any head hunters that are better than
others?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

--
Key fingerprint: BDE0 DE52 B8C0 0CDF 7653 E5A2 D861 7877 0D3B 813E
http://www.jonwatson.ca

"Trying to learn to hack on a DOS or Windows machine or under MacOS is
like trying to learn to dance while wearing a body cast" - ESR